Monday 12 May 2014

Emilo Pucci and Liberty - Something Special


Many Australians live abroad and it's not always easy to be so far from home. We miss the highs and lows of everyday life and if you did your travelling in the early Naughties, you lacked the internet resources to communicate easily.
In many ways this distance makes other, special bonds to form. When I was away from home my mother experienced some personal tragedy of her own and I  could not be there to comfort her. So, in an attempt to make up that distance I went to Liberty of London and bought her an Emilio Pucci handkerchief and sent it to her with the simple note "If you have to cry, at least do it into something beautiful."
It was a much appreciated gesture. When I had a sever case of heartache it was my mums turn, she had a package of Liberty handkerchiefs sent to me. Not just one but a whole stack in an array of patterns and colours, again with a note 'Use as many as you need and then wash the sadness away.'

For this reason, Liberty hold a special place in my heart, it reminds me of my mum and holds great nostalgia for a time in my life when I was young, brave, adventurous and learning a lot. I long to return there, with a purse that will extend further than a handkerchief for my mum and a desire to offer her a gift that reflects just  a tiny bit of her value to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment