Thursday 12 December 2013

Interior Decoration with Bronnie Masefau


Wherever you live,you need to check out what your local library is doing. I don't borrow library books, I hope I never will. I like to own my books, revisit them, consider my underlinings, lend them to friends and family; all the joy that a book brings, I relish. And yet, I still go to my local libraries, because they have amazing guest speakers presenting on a wide variety of topics. Last night it was the turn of interior decorator, Bronnie Masefau

Bronnie shared with us her personal challenges in decorating, moving and providing a home for her obviously much loved family. I want to share with you some of her many pearls of advice.

Live the life you love in your home.
It sounds obvious but, lots of people create spaces around the images they have for a certain aesthetic or the way they want to live yet, the way they actually live is vastly different. You need to really tap into how you do live your life and which habits you enjoy. This will help you determine much of the look, feel furnishings and finishes in your home.

If you get storage right, everything else will follow.
Storage in the absolute number one priority in renovating or finding a home and it has a significant impact on the design and decor of the home. I can't imagine living in a home that doesn't allow me to have all my books happily housed around me. They tell me journey and offer constant inspiration, they are a must for me.

You don't HAVE to use white in small spaces.
A very dark colour can effectively erase a wall from the viewers eye, creating instead a dark, shady recess. This simple, yet clever visual trick can be so useful for a small home.


No comments:

Post a Comment